Friday, August 12, 2011

Vegan Protein Powders

Years ago when I went vegan, before I decided to compete, I wanted to start my day with something that wasn't a starch. So I went to the local GNC, went to the protein powder section, and just picked up one of the vegan ones. It was called "hemp protein."

Let us be very clear: It was as if someone were to come over to me, and defecate in my mouth.

So I thought I was in trouble, what was I going to do for some protein supplement? I did a little Googling, and found www.trueprotein.com. Ah yes, the oasis in the desert. Bulk, custom protein powders in a multitude of flavors and additives.

I started with the pea protein, flavored with Double Dutch Chocolate. As much as it didn't taste great, it was manageable. I still never really enjoyed drinking it, but I used that for years. It was thick, I had to use more than 8 ounces of water, and it was sort of sludgy. The taste itself was mediocre, but I just never really wanted to go have my protein shake. At work, it was always a slow deathwalk of doom towards the bathroom with my cup, my mixing fork, and my Snapware with my pea protein.

Then I began to spend more time on the site's very active message boards, and found that the rice protein was well-reviewed, and that everyone raved about the chocolate-coconut flavor. I said "why not," and ordered myself 5 pounds of it.

When it arrived, I knew it was going to be better immediately. It smelled better, and I could tell it was going to dissolve better. One scoop of this stuff mixes in as little as 4 ounces of water, and it does, in fact, taste as close to a Mounds bar as you're going to get with something so healthy.

So, now I enjoy my protein shakes. I usually use my protein shakes as my protein for meals 1, 2, 4, and 6, but it varies. I received my 2nd box of 5 pounds yesterday. Hats off to True Protein. Without them, there is no way I could compete in this competition. I could not muster the hemp protein or any other of the garishly terrible vegan powders out there. I never even enjoyed the whey protein that I'd use before I went vegan. But TrueProtein.com, you are my savior!

Try 'em out!


No comments:

Post a Comment