Tuesday, September 13, 2011

A reminder of why I make certain choices

My office building has a cafeteria. It's probably busier at breakfast than it is at lunch. I didn't have any change for my morning Diet Coke from the machine, so I head down there with my money to get one.

I speed raced past 3 very heavy folk who were slowlllllllly walking together towards the cafeteria. Then on the way in I passed 2 very heavy women who were carrying Carby McCarby selections for breakfast. Muffins, bagels, sausage sandwiches.

I get it, it's very tempting. I'm not perfect, but even when not dieting for a show, I don't allow myself to get into these habits.

The smell of toasted bagels, butter, eggs and sausage, arrays of pastries. The smell is truly intoxicating.

I could eat that stuff all_day. If it were up to me, I'd have a bagel with peanut butter and jelly for breakfast. Then I'd have another at 10 AM. Then I'd have one at 2 PM and 4 PM. It is truly heavenly. The smell of toasted bread could be my favorite smell. It sends my brain into rapid fire, stimulating all of the pleasure centers, making me want to reach out and grab it all.

But I don't. I don't want to look like many of the folks that eat like that. It's unfortunate that we all just can't eat what we want. But it's reality. For a period of time when I got to this office building, I thought one day "I'll treat myself to a bagel and PB and jelly this morning." "This morning" turned into 2 weeks. I probably gained 5 lbs, and my clothes didn't fit.

Mean or not, I often look at what the heavy and obese people are eating when I'm tempted to make unhealthy choices. I'm not going to feel guilty for it. It's not mean. If I didn't, then one day, I could be those people, and some healthy trim girl could look at me and think the same thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment